Dr Fausto Sanna
MArch, PhD, PG Cert (HE), FHEA, ARB, RIBA
Senior Lecturer & Director of Programmes
Cardiff School of Art and Design
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Western Avenue, Cardiff, CF5 2YB
Dr Fausto Sanna is Senior Lecturer in Architecture and Director of Programmes at Cardiff School of Art and Design, where he has established a new BA (Hons) Architecture. He oversees the School’s teaching provision in architecture and the built environment: BA (Hons) Architecture, BA (Hons) Interior Design and BSc (Hons) Architectural Design and Technology.
Fausto is also moderator for the architectural programmes delivered by the Arab Academy for Science, Technology & Maritime Transport (Alexandria Campus, Egypt) and validated by Cardiff Metropolitan: BSc (Hons) Architecture and Master of Architecture (MArch).
Before joining Cardiff Metropolitan, Fausto taught at the Arts University Bournemouth (Senior Lecturer, 2015-2019), Edinburgh Napier University (2011-2014) and the University of Genoa (Italy, 2008-2011). His teaching activity has embraced a wide range of modules and degree courses within the built environment, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels: architecture, interior architecture and design, architectural technology and structural engineering. For brief periods, and within an Erasmus Intensive Programme, he has also taught in Austria (Salzburg University of Applied Sciences, 2014), Hungary (Széchenyi István University, 2013) and Finland (Karelia University, 2012).
- Doctor of Philosophy, Edinburgh Napier University
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Edinburgh Napier University
- Architectural Professional Examination (under the EU’s Professional Qualifications Directive), the University of Genoa, Italy
- Master’s degree in Architecture (5-year course, summa cum laude), the University of Genoa, Italy
Memberships & affiliations
- Registered architect, Architects Registration Board (ARB)
- Chartered member, Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy/Advance HE
- Member, Association of Architectural Educators
- Member, Technical Studies in Architecture (TSiA) Group
Fausto’s research interests revolve around timber architecture, the environmental impact of buildings, thermal performance of the building envelope, and mitigation and adaptation strategies to tackle climate change.
He is an active member of the Sustainable and Resilient Built Environment (SuRBe) Research Group at Cardiff Metropolitan University, where he supervises research degrees and participates in research projects, knowledge-transfer partnerships and consultancy work.
He acts as peer-reviewer for academic conferences, journals and books.
Fausto is currently supervising the following research students:
- Evan Owen-Powell, Using traditional building techniques to develop and implement a new Building Code protocol for the Caribbean, enabling resilience from the challenges of climate-change reality (provisional title). Professional Doctorate in Sustainable Built Environment (DSBE); second supervisor;
- Rahma Hassan Hagi Adan, Assessing the impact of enhanced energy-performance standards on the thermal performance of masonry dwellings in the United Arab Emirates (provisional title). Professional Doctorate in Engineering (DEng), second supervisor.
Fausto welcomes enquiries from prospective students (email@example.com) interested in pursuing one of the research degrees offered at Cardiff School of Art and Design, especially within the Sustainable and Resilient Built Environment (SuRBe) Research Group:
- Master of Research (MRes);
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD);
- Professional Doctorates, i.e., Doctor of Sustainable Built Environment (DSBE), Doctor of Engineering (DEng) or Doctor of Professional Practice (DProf).